Apparently, GMA7 was ambitious enough to try and escape creative block by coming up with a theme that's so controversial, you're really bound to see something different.
To give you an idea of what My Husband's Lover is about, here's 24 Oras' report on it:
I have a few thoughts about how different this is from the regular teleserye offerings that I'm forced to watch when I ride buses:
- Well, I don't think there's much of a difference when you deconstruct the whole plot: it still reeks very much of the glorified kabit syndrome. The only element they changed is the mistress' gender. This is just about the only thing I have against the series. Tigilan na sana yang kabit kabit na yan.
- Thing is, My Husband's Lover is actually very addictive because unlike many telenovelas, the characters are just like us. I find myself relating to almost all of them: Lally (the protagonist), Vincent (her husband), and Eric (the lover). I could not help but sympathize with just about everyone because they feel very real, unlike the exaggerated characters you'd usually see in soap operas. Furthermore, majority of my friends are gay and most of them are low key and straight-acting, just like Eric and Vincent.
- Even the characters I did not expect to like, for example, Vincent's homophobic dad, are likable. Of course, he starts off as the gun-toting, conservative, old military general whose gaydar is so sharp, you'd actually be afraid of him. But he later comes up with the wittiest remarks, I couldn't help but laugh. Props to Roi Vinzon for doing such a good job playing this character.
- OMG, there were hardly any sampalan (slapping) scenes! No exaggerated crying with sabunutan (hair-pulling) scenes either. Dare I say it? I love the subtlety and control exercised in this series.
- Lesson #1: Kung may kalaguyo kang beki, wag na wag kayo tatambay kung san kayo madalas mag-date ni misis. Kalokabells!
- Lesson #2: Kung sasabihin mong maga-Amerika ka, wag kang gumala ng Maynila. Sa Bicol ka magtago!
- Lesson #3: Mag-dual boot ka ng Macbook at dun mo sa pangalawang OS itago ang kalandian mo, para pag hiningi ni misis ang password mo, lusot kah!
- Sample lines:
The maid: Kayo nga unang babaeng dinala niya dito eh.
Wife: At least alam kong hindi babaero ang asawa ko.
AAAAGGGGGGH!!!! *sobs in a corner*
- Ayoko na ng ideal man. Yung guapo, charming, masipag, mabait, magalang, accomplished.
BAKLA SILANG LAHAT. BAKLAAAAAH!
- Sample lines:
Wife to the lover (still unsuspecting): Really? Wala ka pang asawa? Guapo guapo mo pa naman. Kung dalaga lang ako niligawan na kita.
Ay dioskoday, di kita kinaya! Gusto mo pa magkamali ng pangalawa. xD Someone please give this girl a GAYDAR!
- Maawa kayo kay Lally, ambait bait pa naman. Bet ko si Eric and Dave nalang, para lahat may happy ending. Shungabells kasi tong Vincent, pakasal pakasal pa...you can't "pray the gay away", noh!
- My boyfriend: Bakit ba tuwing lilingon ako sa computer mo parang dalawang lalakeng maghahalikan ang palagi kong nakikita?
Me: Grabe naman kasi ang timing ng lingon mo. Kung kelan nagco-compile ako ng code ng app na ginagawa ko.
My boyfriend: Naiinis na ako sa music na yan ha.
Me: Oy, respect. Classic Kuh Ledesma yan.
My boyfriend: Buti natitiis mo kahomophobian ko...
Me: Buti natitiis mo kabaklaan ko...
Di naman obvious na na-adik ako, noh? Wapakels! Heh.
Like this post? Subscribe to this blog NOW .
Or like Skysenshi's Hermitage Facebook Page for updates, contests and discussions.