Well, last Friday, September 3, my sister and I were invited to Watsons' Mercury-Free Health Care seminar and found out that we weren't the only kids that played with this chemical. Former Gameplan host, Suzy Entrata recounted the same childhood experience she had with mercury: her friends would wait for thermometers to break so that they could play with the seemingly harmless globs of silver.
Reader's Digest about actress Daphne Zuniga's (Melrose Place) struggle with mercury poisoning. I never forgot that story because I am a fish and vegetable eater. She was a pesco-vegetarian as well. It was her regular consumption of tuna that caused her poisoning.
What happens when you are poisoned by mercury? Well, memory loss, sensory impairment, breakouts, headaches and depression are just a few of the symptoms. The worst of it? Brain damage and inevitable death.
You can only properly dispose of it.
As with every other health related issues, prevention is key. For my part, ever since reading Zuniga's account a few years ago, I have minimized my salmon and tuna intake. These two fishies contain the highest levels of mercury.
My sister and I didn't leave empty-handed. We were given a huge loot bag that contained Bath and Beyond products, Biogesic gift packs, and these:
I suppose that shouldn't be too hard since we love malling. We never notice how far we walk when we do this favorite recreational activity. I just want to make sure that I really do reach the 10,000-step quota.
Like this post? Subscribe to this blog NOW .
Or like Skysenshi's Hermitage Facebook Page for updates, contests and discussions.